Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Adventures in Albuquerque


For the next couple of weeks (minus the few days I have already logged) I am in New Mexico for some Very Important Stuff (VIS). Week 1: Albuquerque. Week 2: Santa Fe.

In between VIS, I narrowed down the things I wanted to see in Albuquerque (based on recommendations) to two things: The National Museum of Nuclear Science and History and a visit to the Sandia Crest.

Today I was able to cross off the first thing!

If you are anti-nuclear, please avert your eyes.

Untitled

I managed to get to the museum before closing time. Exactly 45 minutes before closing time, with just enough time to race through the exhibits and snap some pictures. The museum walks you through the history of nuclear science, past to present, including WWII and the Manhattan Project, the Cold War, nuclear medicine, and nuclear power. For being a one-story building, there's really a lot to see and a lot to read. I really wish I had had more time to read things. Instead, I took pictures of signs to read later. It was not ideal.

So here's an abbreviated tour. Starting with some of the beginnings.

Untitled

Untitled
The first controlled nuclear chain reaction took place in a squash court under the stands of the
unused University of Chicago football stadium.

Untitled
Weapon casings identical to those used for the Fat Man and Little Boy atomic bombs

Untitled
Limo used to transport Manhattan Project scientists

Untitled

Some planes and missiles.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
B-29

Untitled
B-52B

Even a glimpse into the present.

Untitled

Last but not least some nuclear art. Seriously.

It was fun to see some art on the walls. Some of it was just there for decoration, and some for sale. And the stuff for sale was not cheap. Maybe I should get into that...

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

 This was one of my favorites.

Doug Waterfield, Doomtown X11: The Trinity Test, 2011

All in all, a good use of 45 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment