Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A 35mm Gift

Phew, that was a long break. Apparently the Christmas season overwhelmed me... in a good way, of course. I was able to take time off from my day job but my schedule quickly filled up with visiting family and house projects. And playing in snow. Naturally, blogging took a back burner.

camera

As one of my Christmas gifts this year I got a new camera lens. It's a Nikkor 35 mm f/1.8 lens. It has a fixed focal length (no zoom capabilities) but I wanted it for its ability to do a bokeh effect (blurry background) and its supposed abilities for shooting in low light conditions. I debated between the 50 mm and the 35 mm but finally settled on the 35 mm after reading many reviews. The 35 mm essentially shoots equivalent to 50 mm whereas the 50 mm lens is really a 75 mm lens. I can't really explain why this is. I just know its true for the particular camera I have. So I went with the 35 mm because I worried that the 75 mm zoom would give me issues when shooting people indoors. As in having their nose take up the whole picture. Have I bored you yet?

I haven't tried out the lens too much but did use it during Christmas and our sightseeing trip to DC.

DSC_0542-r

DSC_0566-r 

Honestly, I still get confused with the aperture settings especially if a couple weeks have gone by since I've touched the camera. I think I'm slowly getting it though.

DSC_0545

DSC_0547

Meatball always makes a great subject though. So I should be getting lots of practice in.

DSC_0474

 


4 comments:

  1. Great photos. I love my nikon d5100. Next lens for me is the 18-300mm zoom. A single lens that does it all supposedly very well. A little pricey, but supposedly worth it!!!
    (;
    Chip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be jealous if you got that! That was on my list for awhile until I researched and realized how expensive it is! Maybe one day :)

      Delete
    2. Nice pictures... you can take some close up photos of my bees :)

      Delete